Children’s back pain is more common than many people realize. There are many potential causes for children to experience back pain, including the use of backpacks, impact sports, and sports like golf and baseball that involve twisting the body to swing a golf club or a bat. Even small children can experience back pain from falls or other problems.
One study showed that, when factors contributing to back pain were left unaddressed, up to 80 percent of children continued to experience back pain four years later. Another study showed that children’s back pain is a good indicator of problems with back pain into the adult years, when it can lead to use of prescription pain medication, interference with work, and other problems. Both studies serve as examples of the importance of addressing back pain in children from an early age, before bigger issues result.
Myshka Chiropractic can treat children as young as four years old for issues related to back pain. In fact, the State of Arkansas considers chiropractors to be licensed primary care providers and legally authorized to determine what courses of treatment will and will not be effective.
Back Pain in Sports
Back pain is commonly caused by sports-related falls. Sports, such as football, rugby, and soccer, often result in impacts in which the body is twisted and turned when it hits the ground or another surface. These falls can result in the spine and supporting muscles being misaligned, and back pain is the primary symptom.
Chiropractic care can help realign the spine and repair the underlying issues. In fact, most if not all professional sports clubs have chiropractors on staff—and for good reasons. If your child is involved in sports, chances are good that he or she could benefit from chiropractic care.
Backpacks and Children’s Back Pain
Physicians recognize that the use of backpacks can put undue strain on young growing spines. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Academy of Pediatrics recognize that backpacks that are too heavy or worn incorrectly contribute to back, shoulder, and neck pain, and can also lead to posture problems.
Children can benefit from chiropractic care when they are experiencing back pain due to backpack use. Myshka Chiropractic can adjust the alignment of their spine and joints so that their spine and supporting muscles are working together properly and not causing your child to be in pain.
Backpack Safety Tips
Many children use backpacks to carry school books and other loads. Here are some tips to help you ensure that your child’s backpack isn’t causing your child harm:
- Make sure the backpack you choose has wide, padded straps. This will help the pack to distribute weight more evenly across your child’s shoulders.
- Make sure your child carries the pack on both of his/her shoulders instead of slinging the backpack strap over just one shoulder.
- Make sure straps are not loose. Adjust straps so that the load is closer to your child’s body, and not hanging down. The farther the load is from your child’s shoulders, the more strain it puts across the shoulders.
- Use the chest and hip straps to distribute weight more evenly. This, too, will put less pressure on the shoulder straps.
- Lighten the load. Encourage your child to utilize a locker to store some books during the day, and consider requesting an extra set of textbooks to keep at home so that your child doesn’t need to carry them.
- Seek regular chiropractic care. Just like adults, children can often benefit from regular chiropractic care. Contact Myshka Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!