Pediatric Chiropractor in Jonesboro, AR
Children’s back pain occurs more frequently than many realize. Potential causes of back pain in children include backpack use, impact sports, and activities like golf and baseball that involve twisting the body to swing a golf club or a bat. Even small children can experience back pain from falls or other problems.
Myshka Chiropractic can treat children as young as four for issues related to back pain. The State of Arkansas recognizes chiropractors as licensed primary care providers and thus legally authorized to determine effective treatment. Dr. Susan Myshka may utilize Gonstead chiropractic adjustments and cold laser therapy to alleviate your child’s back pain.
Children’s Spine Problems
Adults experiencing back pain and other body dysfunctions can quickly identify their discomfort and seek treatment. Young children also experience back pain but may not understand why or know how to describe their discomfort accurately. Therefore, it’s crucial to address your child’s concerns and prevent further issues in the future.
A study performed by the American College of Rheumatology showed that when factors contributing to back pain were left unaddressed, up to 80 percent of children continued to experience back pain four years later. Another study found that children’s back pain is a strong indicator of spinal issues into adulthood, leading to prescription pain medication usage, interference with work, and other problems. Both studies stress the importance of addressing back pain in children early before more significant complications arise.
Children’s Back Pain Symptoms
Back pain symptoms in children vary depending on the cause and location. Generally speaking, children often describe their back pain as discomfort. Common symptoms include:
- The back appears twisted or curved
- Short, fleeting pain or lasting discomfort
- Mild or severe pain
- Tender spots in the middle of the back
- Radiating pain in the arms or legs
- Weakness or numbness
- “Pins and needles” feeling
Why Does My Child’s Back Hurt?
Children’s back pain can derive from various causes, from poor posture to spinal misalignment. Common reasons for back pain in children and adolescents include:
When your child says their back feels “tender”or “sore,” they likely endured muscle or ligament strain from overuse. Those that play intense contact sports year-round, such as football, rugby, and soccer, are at greater risk of injury. Further, poor posture like slouching or failing to stand up straight causes muscle strain.
In children, the soft tissue serving as a cushion between two vertebrae is highly elastic, allowing the spine to endure powerful forces. However, if these discs experience traumatic injury or have an abnormal structure, herniation (rupture) is likely. Herniated discs can cause numbness, weakness, leg pain, and difficulty bending or straightening the spine.
Abnormal spinal alignment can cause pain in children. Abnormalities may also change the spine’s appearance but don’t always cause pain. Two common spinal misalignment conditions in children include:
- Scoliosis: The spine curves in an S-shape and is noticeable when standing directly behind your child.
- Scheuermann’s kyphosis: Your child’s spine features a sharp bend that is easily noticed when viewing from the side.
Physicians recognize that backpack use can place undue strain on young growing spines. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Academy of Pediatrics state that incorrectly worn or overly heavy backpacks contribute to shoulder, neck, and back pain, and posture issues.
Pediatric Chiropractic Care for Back Pain
Children experiencing back pain can greatly benefit from chiropractic pain management, whether their discomfort derives from overuse, wearing a heavy backpack, underlying conditions, or intense sports. When you visit Myshka Chiropractic, Dr. Myshka will ask you and your child questions regarding their pain. Then, following an examination, treatment will begin.
Myshka Chiropractic offers two natural and effective treatment methods for children’s back pain:
- Chiropractic adjustments: Dr. Myshka adjusts your child’s spinal alignment through gentle yet effective manipulation. Your child’s spine, joints, and supporting muscles will work together properly and will no longer cause back pain.
- Cold laser therapy: Our Erchonia handheld laser sits on an oscillating platform and uses low-level laser therapy (LLLT) to alter cellular functions, thus providing noticeable and natural pain relief in 10 minutes.
How to Prevent Back Pain at a Young Age
Specific methods can help prevent children’s back pain that results from overuse or injury:
- Sitting and standing properly (straightened back without slouching)
- Equally distributed and controlled backpack weight
- Lifting items correctly (bending the legs rather than at the waist)
- Avoiding repeated spinal-straining actions in sports
- Adequate levels of exercise (not too little or too much)
Backpack Safety Tips
Many children use backpacks to carry school books and other loads. Follow these tips to ensure your child’s backpack doesn’t cause harm:
- Make sure the backpack you choose has wide, padded straps. Doing so will help distribute weight evenly across your child’s shoulders.
- Ensure your child carries the backpack on both of their shoulders instead of slinging the strap over just one shoulder.
- Make sure straps are not loose. Adjust straps, so the load is closer to your child’s body, not hanging down. The farther the load is from your child’s shoulders, the more strain it puts across them.
- Use the chest and hip straps to distribute weight more evenly to place less pressure on the shoulder straps.
- Lighten the load. Encourage your child to utilize a locker to store some books during the day, and consider requesting an extra set of textbooks to keep at home.
- Seek regular chiropractic care. Children can often benefit from regular chiropractic care, just like adults. Contact Myshka Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!
Myshka Chiropractic: Your Children’s Chiropractor in Jonesboro
Our Jonesboro, AR, chiropractor strives to provide innovative and effective treatment to patients in Jonesboro, Arkansas. We understand that your child’s back pain may affect other areas of their life, like school performance or sleep, and we’re here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us to seek relief for your child’s back pain. Schedule an appointment today with Dr. Myshka, children’s back pain doctor in Jonesboro! (870) 932-5661